The Arrakkal Museum is a museum dedicated to the Arakkal family, the only Muslim royal family in Kerala, South India. The durbar hall section of the palace has been converted into a museum by the Government of Kerala. It was opened in July 2005 after a renovation. Different varieities of heritage objects from the Royal family of Arakkal are exhibited in this museum. The museum is managed by the trust including the family members of Arakkal. The building complex known as Arakkal Kettu is a protected monument under the provisions of the protection of Archaeological remains and sites Act of 1968.
A nominal entry fee is charged by the Arakkal Family Trust from visitors to the museum.
The Aralam Wildlife sanctuary is spread over 55 square km of undulating forested highlands on the slopes of the Western Ghats. The sanctuary area falls in Aralam, Kelakam and Kottiyoor villages. The sanctuary was constituted in the year 1984.
The sanctuary adjoins the State Government Farm at Aralam. The highest peak here - Katti Betta - rises to a majestic 1145 m above sea level. It is iIdeal place for trekking This covered with tropical and semi evergreen forests, the Aralam Sanctuary is home to a vast variety of flora and fauna endemic to the Western Ghats. Herds of deer, elephant, boar and bison are common sights.
Bekal fort, the largest and the best-preserved fort in Kerala, lies 16 Kms south of Kasaragod on the national highway at the northern tip of the state. The fort, a circular imposing structure of laterite rising 130 ft. above sea level, stands on a 35 acre headland that runs into the Arabian sea.This fort is more than 300 years old and is believed to have been built in the 1650's by Sivappa Naik of the Ikkeri dynasty.
There is also another belief that it was originally built by Kolathiri Rajas and later captured by Sivappa Naik. The fort was occupied by Hyder Ali of Mysore in 1763 A.D and then the Huzur of Canara during Tipu Sultan's reign and later by the British.
In the middle of the fort is the observation tower approached by a broad and wide flight of stairs. The structure, around 80 feet in circumference at the base and more than 30 feet high, affords a magnificent view of the sea on three sides and the green landscape to the east. There are many underground passages leading outside from various parts of the Fort. Two of them still remains intact, one leading to the south of the fort and the other to the moat on the east.
Today, the Bekal Fort and its surroundings - there are backwaters and hill destinations and water sport facilities nearby - is a favourite shooting location for film-makers.
Dharmadam Island is a small island full of coconut palms and green bushes extending to 5 acres, 100 meters away from the main land at Dharmadam. The island is a beautiful sight from the Beach. During low tide, one can just walk to the island from the beach. In 1998, Kerala Government took over this land for development of tourism. Many different varieties of trees are found here. Some of them are Nanj, Thaani, Cheru tree, Aamakazhuthu and Pullanzchi. Also beautiful reddish brown colour rocks are surrounded by this place. The only well in the island surprisingly contains water which is not salty. It is advised not to visit this place without proper guidance from the localites as the water will rise very fast athe time of high-tide.
Gundert Bungalow is situated near to Thalassery town, on the National Highway at Illikunnu. Dr. Herman Gundert, the reverend German Priest and researcher-scholar lived in this bungalow for 20 years from 1839 and produced the 1st Malayalam Dictionary, 1st Malayalam Newspaper "Paschimodayam", etc.
The bungalow has wide verandahs, huge doors and other features of a typical colonial mansion. However, it is its history more than its architecture that attracts visitors.
Kottiyoor Temple is a prominent Shiva temple in Kerala. Vadakkeshwaram Temple is the common name of the temple from ancient time, but some of the local people addresses the temple as Ikkare Kottiyoor as it in the bank of the river close to the Kottiyoor village; to differentiate it from the shrine in the other side of the river. Thruchherumana Kshetram is the proper name of Kottiyoor temple. The temple is a special category temple under Malabar Devaswom board.
There are two temples in Kottiyoor - one on the western bank of the Bavali river - and the other one on the eastern bank of the Bavali river. The shrine on the east bank (Kizhakkeshwaram or Akkare Kottiyoor) is a temporary hermitage (Yaga shrine) opened only during the Vysakha festival. The Vadakkeshwaram or Ikkare Kottiyoor(The Thruchherumana Temple) on the western bank of the river is a permanent temple complex like all other temples. It remains closed throughout the year except for the 27 days of Vysakha festival. The temple is situated in a densely forested area amidst a sacred grove that covers about 80 acres. Mythology says that Akkare Kottiyoor, the shrine on the eastern bank of the river, was the location of Daksha Yaga, at the conclusion of which, Sati Devi immolated herself and thus committed suicide in this place.
The Thruchherumana Temple was built after the Swayambhoo lingam was found; however the exact date of construction of temple is not known, the pilgrimage has been taking place for many centuries.
Lokanarkavu Temple is in Lokanarkavu 4 km from Vatakara, in Kozhikode District, and 25 km from Thalassery. Lokanarkavu is a short form of Lokamalayarkavu which means lokam (world) made of mala (mountain), aaru (river) and kavu (grove). It is the official family temple of the 500 Aryan Nagariks] who had migrated to Kerala and their successors. The closest railway station is at Vadakara, which is 5 km from temple. Te nearest airport is Calicut airport which is 82 km away.
The temple dedicated to goddess Durga has great historical importance as Thacholi Othenan, the legendary martial hero of Kerala, used to worship here every day.
Thirty days Mandala Utsavam in Malayalam month Vrischikam (November-December) and pooram in Malayalam month meenam (March-April) are the annual festival at the Lokanarkavu Bhagavathy Temple. This is the only temple where a peculiar folk dance called Poorakkali is presented during festivals. The dance, resembles the martial art Kalarippayattu. Even today, all Kalaripayattu artists seek the blessings of the deity before their debut due to the association of Lokanarkavu Temple with legendary hero thacholi othenan.
Madayi Para is a small hillock near Pazhayangadi in Kannur district. It is a place of historic importance and is also religiously significant. Here, there is a pond in the shape of a hand held mirror. This pond is supposed to have links with the ancient Jewish settlers.
From Madayi Para, one may have a bird’s eye view of the picturesque surroundings. A fort, believed to have been built by Tipu Sulan is another attraction of the hillock.
The Malik Ibn Dinar mosque, a 12th century centre of worship can be seen here. Made of white marble, this mosque is believed to have been founded by Malik Ibn Dinar, a Muslim preacher who came from Mecca to India to preach Islam. The Vadakunda Shiva temple (Madayi kaavu) is yet another attraction that this small hillock hosts. The Pooram festival here is a prominent local festival.
With regard to the bio-diversity of Madayipara, it has been found that the region contains about 300 flowering plants, about 30 varieties of grass, and several insect-eating plant species. Madayipara is also home to several rare medicinal herbs, which are sought by people from near and far off places. Coming to avian life, Madayipara sustains about 100 species of butterflies and about 150 species of birds. Among the biggest butterflies in the world, the Atlas butterfly is a visitor to Madayipara.
Muzhappilangad has one thing that no beach in Goa has — a drive beach where fun-loving visitors can bring their cars and bikes, and ride on the sands for as long as they please.
It is located between Kannur and Thalassery, the beach stretches for around five kilometers, allowing the visitors to drive through most part of the shore. There is a paved road winding through coconut groves, leading to the beach.
The beach is about 5 k.m. long. A long clean beach its enchanting ambience invites you to swim, sunbathe or just lounge around. It is Kerala’s only drive-in beach, and one can drive the entire length. The Dharmadam island covered with coconut palms and dense bushes can be seen from this beach. Such a conjunction of beach and island is rare.
The Overbury's folly is located on a hill adjacent to Thalassery Municipal Stadium. It slopes down from the Sub-Collector's Bungalow to the rocks below and is named after its builder, E. N. Overbury, a Briton who served as a local judge at Thalassery in the 1870s.
In 1879, Overbury wanted to construct a picnic spot at the cliff. He couldn't complete it, but the spot later earned the name "Overbury's Folly". The folly commands sweeping views of the Arabian Sea. Today, Overbury's Folly has been renovated and redecorated as a tourist attraction. It is frequented by local people in the evenings as a place to relax. A seaside open-air coffee shop has also been opened on the folly.
Paithalmala is an enchanting hill station in North Kerala in the Western Ghats near Kerala-Karnataka border. Standing as tall as about 4,500 feet above sea level, the summit is located about 86 kms north-east of Thalassery. North of Paithalmala is the Kudaku forest.
These huge mountains lay spread over 500 acres of land enriched with dense forest. The easiest access to the summit is from a place called Kappimala. One can go by bus up to Kappimala and then a bumpy jeep ride of two kilometers through the muttatham-vayal mountain till the forest border. A 2 km trekking through the forest will then take you to the summit.
It has become a favourite spot for the nature enthusiasts, photographers, trekkers and leisurely visitors.
This beach is widely admired for its beauty. This beach is only 23 km from Thalassery. From the beach, one can see ships in transit along the Malabar coast and moving towards Mangalore, Goa and Mumbai. One can see a sculpture (Mother and Child) by Kanayi Kunhiraman near this beach.
Many movies have been shot in this location including the Maniratnam movie Alai Payuthe. The Worldspace ad featuring A.R. Rahman was also shot here.
Pazhassi Dam is an ideal retreat for tourists, the dam site is famous for its scenic beauty. It is almost 10 kilometers from Iritty town. The District Tourism Promotion Concil (DTPC) provides pleasure boating facilities at the reservoir. The reservoir is mainly used for irrigational purposes. It is the only reservoir with gardens in Kannur district. The garden is a good attraction with sculptures. The added attractions of the place is the children's park. The Buddha's statue and the sculpture of Pazhassi King are visual delights.
Sea View Park is a beautiful park is situated just 1 km from Thalassery towny. One can take a break from your drive and spent some time in the park as it is just beside the NH. Also the stretch of NH from Thalassery town to the District court is beach facing and one can stop anywhere and spent a few minutes watching the sea. The park is small and well maintained with a beautiful view of the sea.
Snake Park is a famous landmark in the district of Snake Park at Parassinikadavu, en route from Thalassery to Taliparamba, 2 km from National Highway 17. Here one gets to see a large genre of snakes and other small animals and there is even a live show, where trained personnel play and 'interact' with a variety of snakes, including cobras and vipers, and seek to quell mythical fears and superstitions about snakes.
The Snake Park set up by the Visha Chikista Kendra at Pappinisseri, has been a centre of attraction to both foreign and domestic tourists. This Kendra(center) offers effective treatment for snake bites with almost 100% cure. This is the only place, perhaps where Ayurveda and Allopathy are effectively combined for curing snake bites. The snake park here houses about 150 varieties of snakes including the Spectacled Cobra, King Cobra, Russell's viper, Krait and various pit vipers. There is also a large collection of non-poisonous snakes including Pythons.
Sri Muthappan Temple, also called Parassinikadavu Muthappan temple is located on the banks of the Valapattanam river about 41 km from Thalassery. Principal deity of the temple is Sree Muthappan, a manifestation of two mythical characters called Thiruvappana and Vellattam. According to the local tradition the presiding deity is a folk deity and not a vedic deity, but there are recent attempts to associate the deity to Vishnu or Shiva.
Rituals of the temple is unique in that it does not follow the Satvic Brahminical form of worship, as in other Hindu temples of Kerala. The main mode of worship is the a ritual enactment of both the characters of Muthappan, through a traditional dance known as Muthappan Theyyam. Fish, meat and toddy are the customary offerings to Muthappan. Muthappan Thiruvoppana Mahothsavam is the major festival of the temple, celebrated for three days every year on 3, 4 and 5 March.
In the temple of Muthappan, dogs are considered divine and the temple entrance has an idol of dog, at both sides.
Raja Rajeshwara temple is regarded as one of the existing 108 ancient Shiva Temples of Kerala. It also has a prominent place amongst the numerous Shiva temples in South India. It had the tallest shikhara amongst the temples of its time. The Rajarajeshwara temple has a top of about 90 tonnes. If any problem is encountered in the other temples of South India, devotees seek a solution in this temple through a prasna, a traditional method of astrological decision making. The prasna is conducted on a peedha (a raised platform) outside the temple.
This temple was rebuilt into its present form in the early eleventh century. The quadrangular sanctum has a two-tiered pyramidal roof; in front of the sanctum is the namaskara mandapam, but the temple has no flagstaff, unlike others in Kerala. Non-Hindus are not permitted to enter.
The temple had two ancient and large seven-storey Gopurams that were destroyed by Tipu Sultan in the late eighteenth century The relics of these Gopurams are seen today lying all around the Eastern and Western entrances in the form of debris. The bases still remain, and from their imposing appearance and intricate sculptures, it is quite evident that they might have been grand edifices before their destruction. It is believed that a snake bit the commander of the army who was about to destroy the temple, and following this, the temple was spared from destruction.
Don Francisco De Almeida of Portuguese constructed this fort in the year 1505. The Dutch captured the fort from Portuguese in 1663 they sold the fort to the king Ali Raja of Arakkal kingdom. In 1790 the British seized the control over this fort and became one of the important military centres of the British in Malabar.
Inside St.Angelo's fort, many people believe that there is a secret tunnel. This tunnel was built underneath the sea to the Thalassery Fort which is 21 km from Kannur fort. This under passage is said to be used by soldiers to escape.Grilled off from the general public, the percieved entrance is located 10 metres from the shore within the walls and is understood to be able to provide a potential escape route to horse-mounted soldiers with channels at regular points to provide air circulation.
A painting of this fort and the fishing ferry behind the fort can be seen in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. The fort is now under the supervision of the Archaeological Survey of India.
Thalassery Fort is situated in the heart of Thalassery town. The British East India Company built the fort in 1708 to establish a stronghold on the Malabar Coast. In 1781 Hyder Ali, ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore, was unsuccessful in capturing the Fort in his campaign to control Malabar. The square fort, with its massive walls, secret tunnels to the sea and intricately carved huge doors, is an imposing structure. The fort was once the nucleus of Thalassery's development. It is now a historical monument.
It was at the Thalassery fort that Sir Arthur Wellesly devised the startegy against the Kerala lion Veerapazazhi Kerala Varma raja. The fort was completed in 1708 and became the British headquarters in Thalassery. There are underground caves and hiding places inside the fort.
It is an engineering marvel which rivals modern engineering techniques.
Thusharigiri Falls is a waterfall located in Kozhikode district, 93 km from Thalassery.
Two streams originating from the Western Ghats meet here to form the Chalippuzha River. The river diverges into three waterfalls creating a snowy spray, which gives the name, 'Thusharagiri'. The word Thusharagiri means the snow-capped mountain. Of the three, the highest waterfall is the Thenpara that falls from an altitude of 75 metres.
Thusharagiri offers endless scope for trekking, rock climbing and wild life sanctuary visits.
Vismaya is an amusement water theme park situated near to the famous Muthappan temple in Parassinikadavu, Kannur. The park is developed and run by Malabar Tourism Development Co-operative Limited (MTDC). It was officially inaugurated in August 2008 and since then it has become one of the favorite holiday destination in Malabar. The park is completely operated by the rain water collected by the reservoir spread over two acres of land with a capacity of 50 million litres of water.
Virtual waterfall and Laser show are the two main attractions of this amusement park. Virtual waterfall is a musical waterfall where the visitors dance under the water stream to the background music. This crowd puller is open everyday starting 2 pm and usually ends by 3 pm. Laser shows are usually staged in the evening, and are a major attraction.